Tuesday 19 February 2013

Bad Decisions Make Great Stories!!




Recently I was asked to appear in Cleo Magazine for an article titled 'Words To Live By'. It focused on that one quote you base your life on.

Aside from the fact that I look completely fug in the photos I had a great time taking part and I love that the article was designed to embrace positive thinking!

For me, my personal quote has always been 'Bad decisions make great stories'! I like the idea that there can be a silver lining to any situation.

We've all been through dodgy breakups (appearing in a national newspaper under the headline 'Jana Hocking dumped by Farmer Kieran has to be a highlight!), bad travel experiences (there is a reason they tell you not to drink the water in Thailand) , disaster flatmates (seafood left out on the kitchen bench overnight during a heatwave does not a perfect flatmate make!) , nights out that have turned tumultuous (oooh we've all been there!)  and  car trips that have found you lost in the middle of nowhere.. at night.. low on petrol... and all you can think about is Wolf Creek!

The best thing I like to do at times like this is learn to laugh at myself. What is the point of experiencing it if you can't get a good chuckle??

Some of my absolute favourite stories have all revolved around a disaster of some form..the time my best friend and I got distracted duty free shopping and missed our connecting flight from Abu Dhabi to London and ended up having the BEST 6 hours of our lives living it up in the airport lounge..

Or the time I decided to drive a manual car for the first time at a grade 9 party and ended up crashing the birthday boys new car (may have been his birthday present) straight into a tree  (they called me Jana of the jungle for months.. "Jana, Jana, Jana of the jungle, watch out for that TREEE!!")

Or even the time I was leaving a friends place who just happened to live on 2000 acres, got completely lost, popped a tyre and couldn't explain to my search party where I was because all I could see was sheep and a crop with 'yellow flowers'?!?!

Having a sense of humour about a crazy situation is the best way to deal with drama. Plus, what else would you talk about at a dinner party? I say embrace your inner crazy, step back from the situation and have a good ol' laugh! Nobodies perfect, and how boring would it be if we were!!

What is your life quote??




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete